Student Records Policy and FERPA
RIGHT-TO-KNOW — Federal Student Disclosure Requirements — Student Consumer Information
Federal regulations require that LIM College provide all prospective and enrolled students with information on subjects with which you should be familiar. This information includes:
- Student Financial Aid (description of aid programs available, eligibility criteria, how to apply, the method of award and distribution, satisfactory progress standards, loan terms, and deferrals)
- Tuition and other costs
- Refund and withdrawal policies
- Information about academic programs, personnel, and facilities
- Retention and graduation rates
- Annual security report
- Information regarding parent and student rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) with respect to access to and the release of student education records
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Information
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) sets forth requirements designed to protect the privacy of student educational records. The law governs access to records maintained by educational institutions and the release of information from those records. FERPA affords college-aged students (“eligible students”) certain rights with respect to their educational records. These rights include:
- The right to inspect and review the student’s education records. Students should submit a written request to the Registrar that identifies the record they wish to inspect.
- The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students should submit a written request to the Registrar specifying the part of the record they want changed and why it is inaccurate or misleading.
- The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by LIM College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The Office’s address is: Family Policy Compliance Office / U.S. Department of Education / Washington, D.C. 20202–4605
- Release of Student Information by LIM College
LIM College, in accordance with FERPA, has designated the following information about students as public (directory) information which may be released without the student’s authorization
- Address (local and permanent)
- Academic status (undergraduate, graduate, general studies)
- Dates of attendance
- Degrees completed
No further education records covered by FERPA will be released without the written consent of the student. Consent forms may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar or can be located in the LIM College Student Share directory.
Absolutely no transcripts of a student’s records will be released outside the College without the student’s signed authorization. Authorization forms are located in the Registrar’s Office. All completed forms must be returned to the Office of the Registrar.
Students have the right to have this directory information withheld from the public if they so desire. Each student who wants all directory information to be withheld should notify the Registrar in writing.
A brochure produced by the U.S. Dept. of Education with more information about FERPA can be found here.