Dept. of Experiential Education & Career Management
Ways to Stand Out at Work
Whether you are an intern or full-time employee, you are expected to be responsible, mature and dependable.
These tips on standing out and acting appropriately will help you to succeed in the workplace:
- Show respect and professionalism in all communications. Note: Do NOT expect your emails at work to be confidential and assume they will be screened.
- Dress for the job you want, not the one you have. Observe what your co-workers and supervisors are wearing.
- Be dependable and reliable. Call out only when necessary, and when you do need to call out or arrive late, notify the appropriate people as soon as possible.
- Demonstrate that you want to learn about the company, the industry and possible job responsibilities.
- Instead of waiting for someone to tell you what to do, be proactive and ask what you can do.
- Be honest and take responsibility for your actions. Don’t lie about anything and always own up to your mistakes.
- Be positive; no one likes to work with someone who complains a lot, or with someone who badmouths others.
- Be a team player and ask if others need help. Also, you should ask for help when you need it. People can tell when co-workers care about others' success as much as their own.
- Handle conflict and controversy maturely and professionally. Don’t let emotions override your judgment and treat everyone with respect.
- Always conduct yourself in a professional manner. Just because you are at the Christmas party and not in the office or store does not mean it's a good idea to let loose.