The Arts in Florence
Discover Renaissance art and the city of Florence through this three-week summer program. Students will take one art history course taught by an LIM faculty member and one elective course at the Florence University of the Arts.
- Students must have at least second-semester freshman status at time of the program.
- Minimum of 2.75 GPA required; suggested minimum GPA is 3.0.
- Students must be in good academic and financial standing to participate.
- Students must have completed all prerequisites for the course component of the program by the time of the program start date. Please see "Credits" below for more information.
- Students must apply by the deadline.
- Summer 2022 Application Due: December 1, 2021
Session 1: May 15, 2022 - June 3, 2022
Session 2: June 5, 2022 - June 24, 2022
Students may only attend one session.
Students must submit their completed application by the deadlines listed above under "Important Dates" to be considered for this program.
LIM College’s study abroad programs are competitive as more applications are typically received than there are spots available. The following factors are considered when LIM selects candidates to participate in study abroad programs:
- Personal statement/essay: Original, succinct essays with well-thought out content will be rated highly.
- GPA: FAU requires the student’s LIM College GPA to be a minimum of 2.75 and recommends a 3.0 or higher.
- Demonstrated interest: Applicants can increase their chance of being selected by attending information sessions and/or setting up a time to meet one-on-one with the Study Abroad Coordinator to discuss the program they are interested in applying for.
Students who are accepted into the program will be required to submit their personal and academic information to their host school, as well as a copy of the photo page of their passport. Further information on this process will be given to accepted students.
The program consists of two concurrent three-week long courses at Florence University of the Arts (FUA) in Florence, Italy. Students will complete one FUA elective selected by the student and one LIM art history course (STSA 2410 - Liberal Arts International) for a total of six credits earned while abroad. Students will participate in excursions and cultural classes (including a guided "passeggiata" (walk) around the city, museum and gallery visits, and a fresco workshop, among others) as part of the program. Participants will take part in a mandatory Friday and/or Saturday field trip outside Florence as part of their elective course at FUA and are responsible for the cost of the trip (approximately 90€), which is not included in the program fee.
The program is first and foremost an academic experience and participants are expected to prioritize the academic components of the program. In addition, students are responsible for ensuring that they have met any and all prerequisites for the LIM course, "STSA 2410 - Liberal Arts International," prior to its start date (note that this may be earlier than the departure date for the travel component of the program). Please see the LIM College Catalog for details about course prerequisites.
Students will be placed in apartments within commutable distance (not more than a 30 minutes walk) of the FUA campus. The apartments are typical Italian apartments; they hold 2-8 students and bedrooms are double- or triple-occupancy. Apartments include furnishings, basic kitchen supplies, bed linens, washing machine, and towels.
All participants will be covered by international health insurance, which is included in the program fee.
Summer 2022 cost: Estimated: $5,800 per student. This covers housing for the duration of the program in student apartments, tuition, excursions, museum admission tickets for group visits, and health insurance. Airfare is not included and students will be required to book their own flights.
Additional approximate costs:
- Airfare: $800-$1,200
- Food: $750
- Welcome lunch and farewell dinner are included in the program cost
- Required FUA course field trip fee: approximately $100
- Required FUA course materials fees: approximately $100
- Gratuity (bus drivers and tour guides): $50
- Independent travel and excursions: varies $0-$200
- Shopping: varies $0-$200
Students are required to have a valid passport that expires no sooner than six months past the end of the program. Visas are not required for American citizens. International students should contact the Study Abroad Coordinator prior to submitting their application to determine if a visa is required.
All students are required to attend the LIM College Pre-Departure Orientation. In addition, students will be required to meet for several course sessions on zoom prior to the end of the Spring 2022 semester as part of their LIM art history course.