English & Math
All undergraduate students who enroll at LIM College must demonstrate their readiness to learn course material successfully. English and mathematics aptitude is assessed and students are placed in appropriate courses based upon level of aptitude.
Students can demonstrate their readiness by either:
- Submitting ACT or SAT scores for review*
- Completing the LIM College placement test
In addition, college-level English composition and mathematics courses will be reviewed for equivalency and used when determining placement test requirements.
Students who choose not to submit ACT/SAT scores and do not take the LIM College placement test, will automatically be placed in the lowest level developmental courses (Writing Essentials & Mathematics Through Business Applications).
For those who chose to complete the LIM College placement test, study guides are below. It is highly recommended that you review these guides before taking the test.
Additional information, including timeline and instructions, will be communicated to students prior to new student registration.
ACT/SAT Placement Criteria
|ACT Math Score||NEW SAT Math Score||OLD ACT Math Score||Math Course|
|500-540||19-21||Introduction to Algebra|
|ACT Score||NEW SAT Evidence Based||OLD SAT Writing Only Score||Course Placement|
|0-529||0-459||ENGL 0700 - Writing Essentials|
ENGL 1100 –
- International students who submit official ACT/SAT scores will be placed into English and math according to the same ranges posted above. In addition, if an international student transfers equivalent credit in English and mathematics, from a US college/university, they will also be placed accordingly.
- Those international students who do not have the appropriate ACT/SAT scores, and/or do not have equivalent transfer credit, will be required to complete both the English and mathematics placement tests (available through Blackboard).
- Any English or mathematics course completed at an international college/university must be reviewed (via a syllabus review) by the appropriate LIM College department Chair in order to determine transferability and course equivalency.