MEDICAL IDENTIFICATION ON MOBILE PHONES
Today nearly 100% of LIM College Community Members owns and consistently carries a smart phone. The most recent Apple and Android operating systems have the ability to display important medical information about the phone’s owner which is valuable information during emergency situations. Those responding to a medical emergency, such as the LIM College Emergency Response Building Teams, can use the Emergency Medical ID features on the phone to obtain important medical information from patients that may need immediate care. Emergency information such as the patients name, emergency contact number, medications, medical conditions, allergies, blood type and other information can be obtained, even when the phone is locked. This article explains how to set up this important – and potentially live saving - feature on your mobile device.
Apple – Medical ID
Step 1. Open the Health App –
Step 2. Click on the Medical ID Symbol on the Bottom Right
Step 3. Click Edit and Fill in the Information. Be sure to enable “Show When Locked.”
Step 4. Test the System
4.1 Lock the Phone
4.2 Slide to Unlock
4.3 Click on the “Emergency” on the lower left side
4.4 Verify the Information
Check out this video if you need help setting up your Medical ID.
Android Phones – Samsung Galaxy
To set up emergency contact information, Samsung Galaxy users will need to put information into the In Case of Emergency (iCE) contact. Here is how that is done:
- Enter emergency contact name, cell number and relationship
- Enter email address, twitter and Facebook information – if desired
- Add additional fields as needed
- Use the Notes Section for allergies, medications, medical conditions and other important information
If you keep your screen locked (as you should) do the following:
- Go into Settings and touch My Device and then Lock Screen.
- Touch Lock Screen Widgets.
- Touch Owner Information at the bottom.
- Type in “ICE CONTACT” along with your contact’s name, phone number, your allergy or medical information
- Check the Box and Choose Okay.
If you need additional help, see this video: https://rnn10.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/icesamsunggalaxy/
If you have a different phone, just Google the name of the phone and “Set Up Emergency Medical Information”. For example, “LG 4 Set Up Emergency Medical Information”. If you have any trouble, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Please also help a friend or family member set up this function on the phone and remember to set it up on your phone. Do it right now - you never know, the life you save could be your own!!