Accessibility Services

Accommodations for equal access

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973, all students, with or without disabilities, are entitled to equal access to the programs and activities of LIM College.

If a student believes that they have a disabling condition that may interfere with their ability to access and/or participate in the activities, coursework, testing and assessment, or other requirements of a course, they may be entitled to non-retroactive accommodations.

The accessibility services staff within Student Affairs offers academic and non-academic accommodations for a qualified student with a disability. Some examples of accommodations include, but are not limited to: extended time on tests, testing in an alternate location, copies of class notes, access to specialized computer software , books in alternate formats, and accommodations in College-affiliated housing. A student will not be able to receive accommodations for a disability at LIM College unless they choose to disclose this information to the accessibility services staff and formally register for services. A student with a disability is encouraged to contact the accessibility services staff as soon as possible upon enrolling at LIM College.

Please find more detailed information regarding LIM College’s policies and procedures relative to accessibility services in the Accessibility Services Handbook.

Registration for services includes the submission of a student’s disability documentation to Student Affairs, the review of documentation by accessibility services staff and an intake interview with the student conducted by the accessibility services staff. Registration is not considered complete until all of these activities have taken place. Once a student registers with the accessibility services staff, Student Affairs will create letters disclosing a student’s non-retroactive accommodation plan to their professors. It is then the responsibility of the student to deliver these letters to their professors. Faculty are only required to comply with assigned academic accommodations once they receive an accommodation letter. A student retains the right to choose not to share their accommodation letters with their professors and retains the right to determine which accommodations they would like to apply to each class.

Formal documentation must be from a licensed medical and/or mental health provider and/or a qualified evaluator who is currently treating or who has assessed the student with a disability. Documentation should be current, generally no more than three years old. IEPs are acceptable, but documentation should also include other professional reports such as psychological evaluations, educational evaluations, neuropsychological exams, and/or physician reports and letters whenever possible. Depending on the documentation provided, accessibility services staff may require further and/or more recent evaluative documents. In general, documentation should include at least the following:

  • Signed consent for release of medical and/or mental health records and information
  • Psychoeducational Assessment, IEP, and/or a medical report from a licensed medical and/or mental health provider and/or qualified evaluator detailing learning or other disabilities
  • The specific diagnosis or diagnoses constituting the disability/disabilities
  • The medical and/or educational history related to the disability/disabilities
  • The level of severity of the condition and anticipated changes to the condition, including any functional limitations and expected duration of the condition, etc., if applicable
  • The date of the initial disability diagnosis and any changes in the condition since initial diagnosis
  • Any current medications and treatment
  • Recommended academic and/or non-academic accommodations

If you have any questions about accessibility services or accommodations, or if you would like to make an appointment to speak confidentially to a member of the accessibility services staff, please contact the accessibility services staff by email at to make an appointment.

The Student Affairs Office is located on the mezzanine level of Maxwell Hall, 216 E. 45th Street, New York City.

If you're an LIM student who is registered for academic accommodations, please complete the following Accommodation Request Form each semester.