In general, heart attacks are caused when the flow of blood to the heart is limited or blocked. LIM College currently has trained and certified more than 150 faculty and staff members in First Aid, CPR and AED usage. All heart attacks are different and may present different symptoms person to person and by gender. Some people exhibit warning signs and symptoms weeks or days in advance, while others only exhibit signs and symptoms hours or moments before a heart attack. Below is a list of Heart Attack Signs and Symptoms developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
Signs and Symptoms
- Pain or discomfort in the jaw, neck or back
- Feeling weak, light-headed, or faint
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Pain or discomfort in arms or shoulders
- Shortness of breath
- Women are also more likely to suffer from unusual or unexplained tiredness, nauseas or vomiting
- If you or someone you notice (or someone has verbally shared) these signs and symptoms, you should immediately call 911 and call the LIM College Emergency Line (212) 310-0660 or 711 from an LIM College phone.
- If the individual is responsive, administer aspirin (only if the individual can chew and swallow).
- Some heart attacks may require the use of CPR or an AED:
- If the individual is not responsive and not breathing, CPR should be immediately administered by trained individuals
- Someone should also be directed to locate and retrieve a nearby AED unit
- The AED unit should be activated and applied to the individual (be sure to follow the AED unit’s verbal commands)
- The AED unit will begin to monitor the individuals heart rhythm to determine if shock is required
- The AED MAY NOT administer shock if the heart rhythm is not within a certain range
- If shock is not required, CPR should be continued until First Responders are on scene
- Once First Responders are on scene a LIM College faculty/staff member should ride to the hospital with the ill/injured LIM College Community Member. No LIM College Community Member should ride alone in the Ambulance!
- Please download the LIM College Mobile App. The Emergency section contains valuable information for responding to medical emergencies. The app can be downloaded from Google Play or the Apple Store or at https://www.limcollege.edu/app
Please Note: All AED Machines are embedded in the wall and have a red and white tented location sign hung two feet above them.
- 7th Floor: Outside the College Marketing Office on the Left Side of the Door
- 7th Floor: On the Wall Across from the IT Help Desk
- Main Floor: Behind the Security Desk on the Left Wall
- 3rd Floor: On the Left Side of the Wall in the Hallway Across from the Conference Room
- 8th Floor: In the Graduate Reception Area on the Left Wall as You Enter the Area
- 14th Floor: On the Kitchen Wall by the Copy Machine
- Main Floor: Outside of the Student Lounge, Across from the Elevator
- 3rd Floor: To the Right of the Elevator, Outside the Student Financial Services Office
- 5th Floor: Outside of Classroom 5352
*For more information about heart attacks, and the difference between a heart attack and cardiac arrest, please review the American Heart Association’s guide below: