Spend a semester with us
Each year, LIM hosts exchange students from our partner institutions around the world. We provide information and services to incoming exchange students throughout their application, acceptance, and pre-arrival process. We also support exchange students throughout their time in New York and offer guidance on J-1 student status and immigration regulations.
Experience everything New York City and LIM College have to offer.
- Check with your home university to confirm that there is an active student exchange agreement between your institution and LIM College.
- Complete the application/nomination/placement process that your home institution has in place for students interested in participating in an exchange.
- Once accepted to the program, your home institution will nominate you to study at LIM College.
- Complete the LIM College Exchange Application and DS-2019 Application. Submit these completed applications and supporting documents to your home school advisor/coordinator to be submitted to the LIM College Study Abroad Coordinator on your behalf. More detailed information can be found on each of the application forms, but note that the supporting documents will include:
- A clear, legible copy of the biographic page of your passport
- A copy of your academic transcript/record from your home university
- Proof of proficiency in English (for non-native English speakers only)
- A letter of reference from an individual familiar with your academic work
- Proof of financial means to cover your expenses for the duration of the term you plan to study at LIM College
- The LIM College Study Abroad Coordinator will review your application and will reach out to you directly to inform you whether or not you have been accepted into the program.
The Study Abroad Coordinator will work with all accepted students to prepare for their semester in New York City. These steps will include:
- Applying for the J-1 student visa
- Registering for courses at the College
- Applying for housing at The New Yorker or finding accommodations for the semester independently
- Acquiring health insurance that meets or exceeds the J-1 visa requirements
- Submitting proof of required immunizations to the LIM College Office of Counseling and Accessibility Services
Further information will be provided to all accepted students directly.
All students intending to study on exchange on a J-1 visa are encouraged to visit the following website to learn more about J-1 status.
For more information about the visa process, incoming exchange students are encouraged to consult the following links:
Exchange students who do not have U.S. citizenship study at LIM College under a J-1 student visa. While studying as part of the exchange program with the College’s overseas partner schools, exchange students are required to follow the regulations that govern J-1 visa holders.
If you would like to meet with the Study Abroad Coordinator to address your questions or concerns, please schedule a one-on-one appointment
International Student Handbook
The International Student Handbook provides helpful information about staying in status as an incoming exchange student, life at LIM College, and living in New York City.International Student Handbook