Business + Culture
Spend a week getting to know the local retail landscape and buying strategies of London's fashion pros.
- Students must be attending LIM College from the time of application through the conclusion of the program.
- Minimum GPA requirement is 2.50.
- Students must turn in an online application
- Students must be in good academic and financial standing to participate.
- Students must have completed all prerequisites for the course component of the program by the time of the program start date. Please see "Credits" below for more information.
- Students must apply by the deadline.
- Application due: December 1, 2021
- Deposit of $375 due: December 15, 2021 (to confirm acceptance)
- Payment TBD due: February 1, 2022
- Payment TBD due: March 1, 2022
When: August 2022
Where: London, England
The LIM College short-term study abroad application is due December 1, 2021, for the Buying Trip & Competitive Shop 2022.
In order to be considered for this program, applicants should submit:
- LIM College online study abroad application.
- Personal statement (instructions included in application).
- Scanned copy of the photo page of their passport (if the student does not yet have a passport and therefore cannot include this piece, their application will not be penalized. However, they will be required to get a passport within three months of acceptance to the program).
- Copy of their unofficial transcript (can be obtained from Sonis).
LIM College’s study abroad programs are competitive, as more applications are typically received than there are spots available. The following factors are considered when LIM selects candidates to participate in study abroad programs:
- Personal statement/essay: Original, succinct essays with well-thought-out content will be rated highly.
- Interview with Study Abroad Coordinator: Students should be prepared to speak about why they are a good candidate for the program to which they are applying.
- GPA: The student’s LIM College GPA is taken into consideration.
Undergraduate students who are accepted to the program will complete an online course that culminates in the time abroad. Successful completion of the coursework and travel experience will result in three undergraduate elective credits for the course "FASH 3533 - The Buying Trip/Competitive Shopping."
The program is first and foremost an academic experience and participants are expected to prioritize the academic component of the program. In addition, students are responsible for ensuring that they have met any and all prerequisites for the course prior to its start date (note that this may be earlier than the departure date for the travel component of the program). Please see the LIM College Catalog for details about course prerequisites.
Travel and accommodation are arranged by a third-party provider. The group flies together from a New York City-area airport to the destination city and all overnight stays are in private rooms within vetted hostels. Participants will receive a full itinerary at a mandatory meeting prior to the program.
All students must submit proof that they are covered in the program locations by their current health insurance provider. Students are encouraged to have worldwide insurance which covers (at minimum) comprehensive hospitalization, prescription medication, medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains. If participants are not covered by their current provider, supplemental insurance needs to be purchased. Information regarding companies that provide supplemental insurance is available through the Study Abroad office.
The cost of the program is TBD. Students will be informed of the final cost prior to being asked to commit to the program. This program fee will cover round-trip airfare from a NYC-area airport, in-country transportation, accommodation, entrance fees for cultural and business visits, some meals, and tuition for the 3 credits earned. Participants may also incur the following approximate costs:
- Non-included meals: Approximately $300
- Entertainment on free days: Varies
- Shopping: Varies
- Transportation to and from the chosen NYC-area airport: Varies based on location
- International Health Insurance (if applicable): $40
All students are required to attend the LIM College Study Abroad Pre-Departure Orientation. The time and date of the Orientation will be communicated to all accepted participants. All students are also required to attend one or two additional meetings scheduled by the faculty leaders during the preceding semester.