Write your own fairy tale in the Czech Republic
Spend a semester at the University of New York in Prague (UNYP). Prague is the charming and exciting capital of the Czech Republic. Take courses in areas such as international business, communications and media, and marketing. Limited to four students per year.
- Students must be in at least their second year of college-level study at time of the program.
- Suggested minimum GPA is 3.0.
- Students must be in good academic and financial standing at LIM College to participate. Students must also have full-time standing at the time of their application and through the end of the exchange program in order to participate.
- Students must apply by the deadlines listed below under "Important Dates."
- Fall 2021 APPLICATION DUE: March 1, 2021
- Spring 2022 APPLICATION DUE: Sept. 15, 2021
Prague, Czech Republic
Partner school website: https://www.unyp.cz/study-abroad/study-abroad
- Fall: early September – mid-December
- Spring: late January – mid-May
Accepted students will participate in a mandatory orientation at their host school prior to the start of the semester. The dates and times of the orientation will be provided to accepted students.
Students must submit their completed application by the deadlines listed above under "Important Dates" to be considered for this program.
LIM College’s study abroad programs are competitive, as more applications are typically received than there are spots available. The following factors are considered when LIM selects candidates to participate in study abroad programs:
- Personal statement/essay: Original, succinct essays with well-thought out content will be rated highly.
- Interview with Study Abroad Coordinator: Students should be prepared to speak about why they are a good candidate for the program to which they are applying.
- GPA: The student’s LIM College GPA is taken into consideration.
- Demonstrated interest: Applicants can increase their chance of being selected by attending information sessions and/or setting up a time to meet one-on-one with the Study Abroad Coordinator to discuss the program they are interested in applying for.
Students who are accepted into the program will be required to submit their personal and academic information to their host school as well as a copy of the photo page of their passport. Further information on this process will be given to accepted students.
All students are required to attend the LIM College Pre-Departure Orientation. Date, time and location are made available after acceptance into the program. Students must also attend the UNYP New Student Orientation Week and students are required to arrange travel so they can do so. The UNYP orientation is typically held the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday prior to the start of each semester.
UNYP’s course list: https://www.unyp.cz/study-abroad/study-abroad-courses.
Students may request to take any class offered in the UNYP Study Abroad Courses list for which they meet the prerequisite requirements. Students will be required to submit an LIM College Course Proposal Form to have their course choices evaluated prior to attending UNYP. Students must be registered for a minimum of 12 credit hours (or the equivalent) per term, including both courses abroad and online courses taken at LIM. Students may not be admitted to all courses that they request at UNYP due to scheduling conflicts, lack of space in a given course, or other logistical reasons. Students may register for a maximum of 15 credits at UNYP.
**Students must meet with their Academic Advisor to ensure their courses will fit into their graduation plan.**
Exchange students may apply for housing in UNYP’s student apartment partner, although availability is not guaranteed. More information can be found here. UNYP partners with the three following student residences, all of which are in a close proximity to UNYP's campus and include Wifi and furnished rooms:
- Belgicka Apartments is located only 100 meters from UNYP’s main campus. It offers double rooms in renovated student apartments. Each apartment has its own bathroom and kitchen.
- Student House Botic is located only 8 minutes away from UNYP by tram. It offers double rooms with bathroom. A kitchen is located on every floor, but each room has its own fridge and kettle.
- Prague Residentia is only a 3-minute walk. Students are accommodated in double rooms and they share a bathroom with another double room. A kitchen is located in a common area. However, every room has a fridge for their use.
Students also have the option to find off-campus housing independently. The Study Abroad Coordinator will provide more information to students interested in doing so. All housing costs are paid directly to the housing provider, which may be the host university, a student apartment company, a landlord, etc. depending on where the student chooses to live.
Students are responsible for booking and purchasing their own airfare.
All students must submit proof to the Study Abroad Office that they are covered by overseas health insurance for the duration of their program abroad. Students are encouraged to have worldwide insurance which covers (at minimum) comprehensive hospitalization, prescription medication, medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains.
In order to apply for a student visa, applicants must provide proof that they are covered by comprehensive travel insurance to the Czech Consulate. This insurance: "must cover the cost of emergency medical care, including medical evacuation or, in the event of death, repatriation of remains to the country that has issued the applicant´s travel document or to the applicant´s country of residence. The insurance policy must not exclude coverage for injuries and damage caused by the applicant´s intentional acts, injuries and damage caused by fault or contributory fault on the part of the applicant, and injuries and damage caused by the consumption of alcohol, narcotic and psychotropic substances by the applicant. The minimum coverage is EUR 60 000 per one insured event without any coinsurance or copayment."
Students pay LIM College tuition to LIM College for the semester abroad. This does not cover airfare, housing, books, meals, or personal expenses, such as shopping. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the Czech Republic and the United States. Additional costs to consider (all amounts are approximations and in Czech koruna unless otherwise noted):
- Round-trip transportation to and from Prague: $700
- Student Visa: £310
- UNYP Student Services Fee: 4,500 CZK
- Housing: 7,000-10,000 CZK per month
- Food: 3,000 CZK per month
- Public Transportation: 260 CZK per month
- International Health Insurance: $250
- Books & Supplies: 5,000 CZK
- Entertainment & Shopping: varies
Students who receive financial aid can typically apply this aid to a semester abroad. All students who receive aid will be required to meet with a Student Financial Services Counselor prior to departure to discuss the status of their aid and to complete any additional requirements.
Students will be required to have a visa to study for the semester. Students must have a valid passport that expires no sooner than 6 months past the end of the exchange experience to apply for the visa and should be prepared to show that they have access to sufficient funds to cover their costs for the semester as part of the visa application process. Accepted students will be sent a letter of invitation from UNYP to present to the immigration authorities. For further visa information, please see: https://www.mzv.cz/consulate.newyork/en/visa_and_consular_information/visa/student_visa/index_1.html.
Student visas are normally issued for one week prior to beginning of the semester and will be valid up to one week after completion of studies. Students are encouraged not to make any travel plans until their visa has been issued and they know the exact dates of its validity.