Dive into the Asian fashion industry
Explore Asian culture while expanding your knowledge of the fashion industry. Three LIM students have the opportunity to study at Shih Chien University in Taipei, Taiwan during this annual semester exchange program.
- Students must be in at least their third year of college-level study at time of the program.
- Suggested minimum GPA is 3.0.
- Students must be in good academic and financial standing at LIM College to participate. Students must also have full-time standing at the time of their application and through the end of the exchange program in order to participate.
- Students must apply by the deadlines listed below under “Important Dates.”
Partner school website: http://www.usc.edu.tw/?locale=en
- Fall Semester: Mid- September— mid-January
- Spring Semester: Mid-February— mid-June
Accepted students will participate in a mandatory orientation at their host school prior to the start of the semester. The dates and times of the orientation will be provided to accepted students.
Students must submit their completed application by the deadlines listed above under "Important Dates" to be considered for this program.
LIM College’s study abroad programs are competitive, as more applications are typically received than there are spots available. The following factors are considered when we selects candidates to participate in our study abroad programs:
- Personal statement/essay: Original, succinct essays with well-thought out content will be rated highly.
- Interview with Study Abroad Coordinator: Students should be prepared to speak about why they are a good candidate for the program to which they are applying.
- GPA: The student’s LIM College GPA is taken into consideration.
- Demonstrated interest: Applicants can increase their chance of being selected by attending information sessions and/or setting up a time to meet one-on-one with the Study Abroad Coordinator to discuss the program they are interested in applying for.
Students who are accepted into the program will be required to submit their personal and academic information to their host school as well as a copy of the photo page of their passport. Further information on this process will be given to accepted students.
All students are required to attend the LIM College Pre-Departure Orientation. Date, time and location are made available after acceptance into the program. Students must also attend Induction (Orientation) at SCU; students are required to arrange travel so they can do so. Orientation is typically held just prior to the start of each semester.
Once admitted into the program, students will be sent more information regarding courses that will be offered during their semester abroad. All students will be required to register for four compulsory courses: Beginning Chinese, Basic Chinese, Chinese Culture and Communication, and Area Studies. Students will be required to submit a LIM College Course Proposal Form to have courses evaluated prior to attending SCU. Students must be registered for a minimum of 12 credit hours (or the equivalent) per term, including both courses abroad and online courses taken at LIM. Final registration of courses happens during Orientation Week.
**Students must meet with their academic advisor prior to departure to ensure their courses will fit into their graduation plan.**
SCU has an International Student Dormitory that is open to LIM College exchange students. SCU does not provide household items for international students who live at the dorm. Students should expect to purchase their own mattress, bedding, toiletries, etc. Students also have the option to look for and procure their own accommodation off-campus. LIM's Study Abroad Office will assist students throughout this process. All housing costs are paid directly to the housing provider, which may be the host university, a student apartment company, a landlord, etc. depending on where the student chooses to live.
Students are responsible for booking and purchasing their own airfare.
All students must submit proof to the Study Abroad Office that they are covered by overseas health insurance for the duration of their program abroad. Students are encouraged to have worldwide insurance which covers (at minimum) comprehensive hospitalization, prescription medication, medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains.
Students pay LIM College tuition to LIM College for the semester abroad. This does not cover airfare, housing, books, meals, or personal expenses, such as shopping. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from Taipei and the United States. Additional costs to consider (all amounts are approximations):
- Round-trip airfare to and from Taipei - $1100
- Student Visa: $160
- Health Insurance: $215
- Rent and utilities: $600 per month
- Books/supplies: $400 per semester
- Food: $1500 per semester
- Public Transportation :$40 per semester
- Entertainment: $200 per month
Students who receive financial aid can typically apply this aid to a semester abroad. All students who receive aid will be required to meet with a Financial Services Counselor prior to departure to discuss the status of their aid and to complete any additional requirements of the Student Financial Services department.
Students will be required to have a visa to study abroad for the semester. Students should apply for a Visitor's Visa, which will allow them to stay in Taiwan for 90 days as a student. Before the end of their visa students will need to leave Taiwan and go abroad (for example, to Hong Kong) and re-enter to extend their stay. Participants must have a valid passport that expires no sooner than 6 months past the end of the exchange experience to apply for the visa and should be prepared to show that they have access to sufficient funds to cover their costs for the semester as part of the visa application process. For further visa information, please see: https://www.roc-taiwan.org/my_en/post/2199.html.
Students are encouraged not to make any travel plans until their visa has been issued and they know the exact dates of its validity.
SCU provides airport pickup services for incoming exchange students. More information will be provided to students accepted to the program.