BUSINESS, FASHION & CULTURE OF ASIA
Through a unique course of travel, research and online instruction, you’re introduced to China’s position in today’s global fashion industry. This two-week summer trip includes a three credit course and introduces you to China’s history and culture while traveling to its major fashion centers.
- Students must be a second-semester Freshman at the time of the program.
- Minimum of 2.5 GPA.
- Students must be in good academic and financial standing to participate.
- Students must apply by the deadline.
- SUMMER 2016 APPLICATION DUE: FEBRUARY 12, 2016
What you need to know
When & Where
Friday, May 27 – Friday, June 10, 2016
Program will involve travel to Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, and Hangzhou.
LIM College study abroad application is due Friday, February 12. Students have two weeks from the date of acceptance to pay a non-refundable $250 deposit. Paper submissions with original signatures are required.
LIM College’s study abroad programs are competitive as more applications are typically received than there are spots available. The following factors are considered when the Office of Study Abroad selects candidates to participate in LIM College’s study abroad programs:
- Personal statement/essay: Original, succinct essays with well-thought out content will be rated highly.
- Interview with Study Abroad Coordinator: Students should be prepared to speak about why they are a good candidate for the program to which they are applying.
- GPA: The student’s LIM College GPA is taken into consideration.
- Demonstrated interest: Applicants can increase their chance of being selected by attending information sessions and/or setting up a time to meet one-on-one with the Study Abroad Coordinator to discuss the program they are interested in applying for.
The program consists of a trip to multiple cities, accompanied by an LIM College professor and country tour guide. Participants visit cultural sites and fashion companies. Undergraduate students earn three elective credits, which will involve online coursework that begins prior to the start of the trip.
Accommodations & Travel
Program costs include accommodations in hotels in each of city, round-trip airfare and various transportation throughout the duration of the program.
All students must submit proof that they are covered overseas by their current health insurance provider to the Study Abroad Office.
Summer 2016 approximate cost is $5000 per student. This covers round-trip airfare from an NYC (JFK or EWR) airport, transportation to and from the various sites and cities, housing, tuition, most breakfasts, some lunches and dinners, and international health insurance. You may incur in the following approximated costs (in U.S. dollars):
Additional approximate costs:
- Food: $500 (2 lunches and 11 dinners are not included in the program cost)
- Gratuity (bus drivers and tour guides): $50
- Individual excursions: $150
- Shopping: varies
- Transportation to and from NYC airport: varies
The assigned professor or Study Abroad Coordinator handles the application for a Chinese visitor visa. All students must have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months after planned return from the trip.
All students are required to attend the LIM College Pre-Departure Orientation held during the Spring 2016 semester (exact date and location TBD). Additional meetings for this program may be scheduled later.