Coronavirus Community Announcement
January 26, 2020
Dear LIM Community,
We are currently in the season of influenza-like illnesses, and as you may be aware from the news, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is monitoring the coronavirus (Novel Coronavirus 2019-nCoV), which was first reported in Wuhan City, China. The coronavirus is a respiratory tract illness that presents with flu-like systems. The virus is very new and authorities continue to carefully monitor how the virus is spreading. There is no vaccine or treatment available for the virus.
There are no suspected or confirmed cases of the virus at LIM College. Although there are no suspected or confirmed cases, in an effort to educate our community, we are sharing this information about the virus and what to do if you are experiencing symptoms and suspect you have come into contact with the virus. The virus is spread from an infected person to others through:
- Coughing and sneezing.
- Touching and/or shaking hands.
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes.
In an effort to stay healthy, the following is recommended:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- Increase your fluid consumption.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth, and face.
- Keep spaces clean and disinfect surfaces.
- Avoid contact with sick individuals.
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Consider obtaining the Influenza (flu) vaccine, if you already haven’t received one.
- Stay home while you’re sick.
If you are experiencing flu-like symptoms and/or are experiencing flu-like symptoms and have a travel history from Wuhan City, China within the last 21 days of the symptom onset, you are encouraged to seek medical care, at your nearest medical facility. The number of reported cases outside of China is very small, however, everyone should take necessary precautions to stay healthy.
The College will continue to closely monitor the emerging public health concern regarding the coronavirus. For more information regarding the coronavirus and for helpful tips, visit here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html.