The holidays! It’s the most wonderful time of year. It also can be a busy time for fire departments as home fires increase by 12% in December each year. Fire spikes are likely caused by increased use of candles and fireplaces, as well as, an increase in combustible materials around the house, such as presents, stockings, wreaths and trees.
Here are 12 days of holiday fire safety tips!
- Never leave burning candles unattended
- Keep candles away from combustible materials
- Be sure candles are on stable surfaces
- Keep candles out of the reach of children
- Don’t burn trees, wreathes, or wrapping paper in the fireplace
- Use a fake tree that is fire resistant
- If you use a real tree, keep it well watered – dry trees are extremely flammable
- Be sure lights and other cords are not frayed and don’t overload electrical outlets
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand
- Use a long-tip lighter when lighting the menorah
- Secure candles in their holders by slightly melting the wax at the bottom of each candle before placing in the menorah
- Check your smoke detectors to be sure of proper operation
See the attached videos of Christmas trees and Menorahs as they catch on fire!
Happy Holidays Everyone! Stay safe.